Top 5 Patient Questions About Dental Veneers
- Posted on: Aug 2 2012
By now, most folks have heard of porcelain veneers before, but not everyone knows the whole story. Also known as “porcelain laminates,” what are these cutting-edge restorations really all about? Here’s a brief introduction.
Dental laminates are thin, tooth-colored shells that are custom-made and bonded to the fronts of the teeth. They aim to correct the appearance of several common cosmetic issues. These include chipped teeth, worn-down teeth, gapped teeth, teeth that appear too small and permanently discolored teeth. Want to know more?
Here is our list of the Top 5 Patient Questions About Porcelain Veneers:
- What is the veneer procedure like? Applying dental veneers is a simple procedure with big results! During your first appointment, we assess your cosmetic goals and take an impression of your teeth. This is sent off to a laboratory, where your custom veneers are fabricated. Once they arrive back from the lab, you come in for a second appointment. At that time, the teeth receiving the veneers are “buffed,” removing only a small amount of natural tooth material. Once we’re sure they’re the perfect fit and color, your veneers are bonded into place.
- How are veneers different from crowns? While dental crowns will certainly restore a patient’s smile, the procedure is often reserved for cases where the structure of the tooth is seriously compromised. Where crowns completely cover the tooth, veneers are applied only to the fronts of the teeth. A veneer procedure is also less invasive and requires less tooth material to be removed.
- Do veneers look natural? Veneers are one of the most natural looking restorations around! Here are a few reasons why. First and foremost, your veneers will be expertly color matched to its surrounding teeth. Secondly, since veneers are completely translucent, they will blend in seamlessly with your natural smile.
- How long do veneers last? There is no set answer here. Each patient is unique and will face different environmental and lifestyle factors. That being said, with proper care and good oral hygiene, porcelain veneers should last you many, many years.
- How do I care for my porcelain veneers? When it comes to making your veneers last, it’s all about proper care and good oral hygiene. Here are a few tips: Never use your teeth as tools – e.g., to open candy wrappers. Remember the importance of brushing, flossing and good nutrition. And, most importantly, schedule regular dental checkups. We can often spot red flags like teeth grinding before they become a problem and damage your veneers.
Schedule a Consultation Today!
Think porcelain veneers might be right for you? Contact us today and schedule a consultation. We have nine locations and twelve affiliate locations throughout the New York metropolitan area including the Bronx, South Ozone Park, Richmond Hill, Midtown Manhattan, Yonkers, Farmingville, Hauppauge, Port Jefferson Station and Ronkonkoma. We look forward to meeting you soon!
Posted in: Dental Bites