Am I a Good Candidate for Invisalign?
- Posted on: Jun 24 2018
Many people want to improve their smiles but don’t want the obvious appearance and other negatives that are sometimes associated with traditional braces. Fortunately, Invisalign is an alternative that provides the benefits of braces while eliminating many of the negatives. In this blog, the dentists at Concerned Dental Care in NY explain more about Invisalign and who makes a good candidate for this orthodontic treatment:
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a series of clear custom-made retainers that fit over your teeth.
How does Invisalign work?
If you and your dentist or orthodontist decide that Invisalign is a good option for you, he or she will devise a plan for correcting your teeth.
Your aligners will be custom-made from comfortable plastic or acrylic, and they fit over your teeth. They’ll be made in sets so you can wear new aligners every few weeks as your teeth are gradually moved into the planned position. You’ll generally wear them all day but can take them out to eat, brush, and floss.
How long is the process?
Since each plan is individualized, there’s no set amount of time that’s the same for everyone. On average, however, most people wear aligners for around 12 months.
Who is a good candidate?
These types of aligners are appropriate for many patients. You may be a good candidate for Invisalign if you have one or more of the following issues:
- Gapped teeth
- Crowded teeth
Invisalign is generally appropriate for cases that aren’t overly severe, but your dentist or orthodontist can best make this determination. And the aligners aren’t usually recommended for children, since they’re teeth are still growing.
What if you’ve worn braces?
Some patients have made the switch from braces to Invisalign aligners. In addition, if your teeth have moved since you’ve had your braces removed, you may also be a good candidate.
What are the benefits?
Invisalign offers the following benefits:
- Effectiveness: Based on the plan created by your dentist or orthodontist, the aligners can effectively correct dental issues.
- Appearance: Since they’re clear, your aligners won’t appear noticeable like traditional braces do.
- Comfort – Invisalign aligners don’t have the brackets and wires associated with traditional braces.
- No food restrictions: You can eat popcorn, candy, and any other foods that are typically forbidden with traditional braces since you can remove your aligners to eat and drink.
- Easier oral hygiene: Traditional braces make it difficult to clean your teeth, but you simply remove your aligners and brush and floss as usual.
- Fewer follow-up visits: You’ll make follow-up visits to get new aligners and check your progress, but they won’t be as often as with traditional braces.
To find out more about Invisalign and learn whether you could be a good candidate for this orthodontic treatment, make an appointment today for a consultation with one of our convenient Concerned Dental Care offices in NY.