What is an apicoectomy?
Sometimes, a conventional root canal procedure is not enough to save a diseased tooth. In these cases, your endodontist may recommend a kind of endodontic surgery called apicoectomy. This treatment option, also called a root-end resection, involves your dentist opening the gum tissues in your mouth surrounding the affected tooth. Then, the tip of the problematic root is taken out and replaced with a small filling to keep the area healthy. At Concerned Dental, our in-house endodontists and oral surgeons offer numerous treatment options including apicoectomy to alleviate tooth and gum pain that is caused by diseased roots.
Why is apicoectomy used?
There are numerous reasons your dentist may recommend having an apicoectomy, which include the following:
- Small fractures
- Hidden canals in the tooth
- Damaged root surfaces
- Unhealthy bone surrounding the tooth
- Infected portions of the roots or surrounding structures
- Failed prior root canal or retreatment of root canal
What does apicoectomy involve?
During your apicoectomy procedure, you can expect the following:
- Your dentist uses a local anesthetic prior to the procedure, so you’ll feel no pain or discomfort during the process.
- Your dentist will surgically repair the damage to the tooth, roots, tissues, or surrounding bone, depending on the exact cause for your problem.
- The procedure is generally quick and patients can expect a full recovery within a few months.
- You can return to normal activities the day after the procedure with minimal discomfort.
- You may experience some swelling in the days following the procedure, which is normal.
What are the benefits of undergoing apicoectomy?
Choosing to undergo apicoectomy at Concerned Dental in New York can offer you the following benefits:
- Relieves pain associated with tooth and root disease or decay
- Can address recurring or severe problems that don’t resolve with regular root canal surgery
- Minimal discomfort
- Little downtime
- Restores tooth health and allows proper healing without infection
If you believe you may need apicoectomy, visit Concerned Dental. We offer comprehensive dental services for patients in The Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, and Long Island. Our modern and friendly practice is home to a highly-qualified team of general dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, and other dental professionals who can handle all aspects of dentistry from one convenient location. To book your visit, call our office at 800.583.9285 or request an appointment today.