What is crown lengthening?
Crown lengthening is a fairly common dental procedure that involves removing bone, gum tissue, or both in order to expose the tooth in cases where the tooth has chipped or not enough of the tooth is above the gum line. The procedure is often used to repair the teeth or gums after a traumatic dental injury or disease. However, sometimes the procedure is used for cosmetic benefits in those who have excess gums that cover the teeth. At Concerned Dental in New York, our periodontal surgeons have years of experience using the most advanced surgical techniques to address periodontal disease and other related dental concerns.
When is crown lengthening needed?
Crown lengthening surgery is used for numerous dental issues, which may include one or more of the below:
- Tooth trauma
- Tooth decay
- Broken tooth below the gum line
- To cosmetically improve a “gummy smile”/excessive gums
- To make room for new dental crowns
- To avoid gum damage when placing dental crowns
What does crown lengthening involve?
Depending on your personal needs and condition, the procedure for crown lengthening may vary. For specific information on what to expect on the day of your periodontal surgery, contact our office or book a consultation to discuss the procedure with your dentist. In general, you can expect the following when undergoing crown lengthening surgery at Concerned Dental:
- In most cases, the crown lengthening procedure is performed under local anesthetic.
- Your dentist makes small incisions in your gums to separate them from your teeth.
- Depending on your needs, your dentist may treat other nearby teeth in order to keep a more symmetrical look to your smile.
- In some cases, bone may need to be removed in addition to gum tissue.
- Once the procedure is complete, any areas that are open are stitched together using small, self-dissolving stitches.
- The time the procedure takes will vary depending on the exact procedure and how many teeth are affected.
What are the benefits of having crown lengthening?
Some of the many benefits of visiting Concerned Dental for your crown lengthening procedure include the following:
- Certified periodontal surgeons with years of experience performing gum surgeries
- Advanced dental procedures using the latest research-backed technologies
- Improves the look of your smile
- Creates more symmetrical-looking teeth
- Repairs tooth and gum damages
If you believe you may need crown lengthening, visit Concerned Dental. We offer comprehensive dental services for patients in The Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, and Long Island. Our modern and friendly practice is home to a highly-qualified team of general dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, and other dental professionals who can handle all aspects of dentistry from one convenient location. To book your visit, call our office at 800.583.9285 or request an appointment today.