What are dental sealants?
A dental sealant is a solution that your dentist can apply to your teeth to protect your teeth and enamel. A dental sealant takes just minutes to apply, forming a plastic seal over each tooth, which prevents bacteria from forming plaque. Over time, plaque can cause damage and decay to the tooth’s surface, which can be prevented or minimized when patients take advantage of dental sealants. Your dentist may recommend dental sealant every few years, and it can be used on adults as well as children. At Concerned Dental, we offer the full range of dental procedures, including dental sealants. Our experienced team of dental professionals can give you more information about sealants during your next visit.
Why are dental sealants used?
A dental sealant is usually recommended for all patients, with re-applications every few years. You may be recommended dental sealants if you:
- Have not had a sealant in a few years
- Want to reduce plaque buildup
- Want to prevent tooth decay and damage to the tooth’s surface
- Have natural teeth
- Have teeth that are free of decay
What does getting dental sealants involve?
At Concerned Dental, you can expect the following on the day of your dental sealant procedure:
- A member of our dental team evaluates your teeth and informs you about specifics of the dental sealants, including when you can eat and drink following the procedure.
- Your dentist thoroughly cleans your teeth, just like during a regular dental cleaning.
- Each tooth is coated with the plastic sealant, which may take around two minutes per tooth.
- Your dentist may use a special light to speed up the bonding and hardening process of the sealant.
- You’ll usually be recommended to re-apply the sealant every few years following the procedure.
What are the benefits of getting dental sealants from a dentist?
Choosing to have dental sealant put on your teeth at Concerned Dental can result in the following benefits:
- In-house oral surgeons, orthodontists, and general dentists all under one roof
- Helps strengthen tooth structure and enamel
- Done during a short in-office procedure
- Painless procedure
- Can prevent tooth decay
- Can prevent tooth chipping and damage
If you believe you may need dental sealants, visit Concerned Dental. We offer comprehensive dental services for patients in The Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Westchester, and Long Island. Our modern and friendly practice is home to a highly-qualified team of general dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, and other dental professionals who can handle all aspects of dentistry from one convenient location. To book your visit, call our office at 800.583.9285 or request an appointment today.